Join me for a fun Technique & Tutorial post discussing how to create dimensional snowflakes using embossing pastes and stencils. I also share the instructions on how to stamp and paint this adorable project!
I love snowmen projects all year long, but I want to share this project because I have been discussing stencils in my group Creative Innovations this month. While the main design was stamped in this project, I wanted to discuss how to create some dimensional patterns using stencils and embossing pastes.
There are so many techniques for using stencils, but I find that embossing with them is my favorite. Since Dreamweaver stencils are metal, they are perfect for this technique. It is important that the stencils lays flat and is taped taught against the surface. For this box, it was a challenge because it was on a box rather than a flat object. I began in one corner and taped the stencils into position. I used a metal spreader to spread the paste over the border areas beneath the stencil. The tape was removed carefully and then I lifted the stencil as if I was opening a book. It was important to allow the paste to dry completely before I continued so that the paste snowflakes would not be smeared. Once they were dry, I repeated the steps until the border and the sides of the box were completed. I love the dimensional effect it gave the project and felt that it added interest without distracting from the main design.
Whispering Wishes Box
Stampendous® Cling Whispering Wishes stamp # CRW152
Stampendous® Perfectly Clear Acrylic Handles
Dreamweaver Snowflake Stencil and Embossing paste, white matte
DecoArt Americana® acrylics- Blue Chiffon, Camel, Lamp Black, Lavender, True Blue, Snow White, Whispering Turquoise
DecoArt – Multi-Purpose Sealer, Easy Float, & DuraClear Matte Varnish
Surface- box available from Michaels
Brushes- variety of flats, Round size #3, #00 liner
cosmetic Sponge Wedges ( without oils or lotions)
1. Prepare the wood box with sealer, sand lightly, then wipe with dampened cheese cloth. Basecoat the inside of the lid with Snow White and the outer perimeter with Whispering Turquoise.
2. Pull some Blue Chiffon streaks in the background of the white area. Allow to dry and stamp the snowman with Lamp Black.
3. Create a wash of True Blue, Lavender, and Whispering Turquoise with water and Easy Float. Wash over the purple areas with the Lavender wash, the blue areas with the True Blue wash, and the bird and tassels with the Whispering Turquoise wash. Allow the washes to dry then shade with full strength paint. Wash the star and nose with thinned Camel. Shade in the same manner. Eyes and charcoal are done in the same manner with Lamp Black.
4. Float the snowman with Blue Chiffon, reinforced with Whispering Turquoise. Add lines of Whispering Turquoise and Camel to the sweater using a liner brush. Add highlights to the nose, star and hat rim with lines of Snow White.
5.Tape the Dreamweaver snowflake stencil into position on the box, spread the embossing paste onto the box. Allow to dry, then repeat the process until the entire frame has snowflakes on it.
6. Apply a coat of matte varnish to the entire box.
If you enjoyed this project, you may want to also see my pretty Poinsettia Tray whih was created with gold metallic embossing pastes! Just click on the photo below:
Thank you so much for joining me today. If you would like to get my blog posts directly to your email, please subscribe to my blog. Also, I would love to connect with you. I would be honored if you would stop by my and like my Facebook Page at Debbie Cole Designs so that you can get all my posts. Simply click on the highlighted link and go to my page. Click on the “Like” button and then also on the arrow next to it. When the drop down window appears click on “Get Notifications”. This will allow you t get all my posts to my page.
I am so excited to share that I now have a You Tube Channel at the Debbie Cole Channel. I would love for you to subscribe. I plan on having many How to and DIY videos for you to enjoy! Please note that if you do not know how to subscribe, simply click on my Playlists by my channel and click on the “You Tube Help” video. It will guide you through the process.
Also, for those of you who would like to learn more about stenciling, we have been discussing this subject all month in my group Creative Innovations>. Please join us! February’s theme will be Finishing the UFO’s so please stop by and join us!